Monday, April 15, 2013

Boston Marathon Tragedy

I have been glued to the TV since getting home from school today.  Since I teach all day, I am closed up in a classroom with no media feed.  I did, however, get a post on a picture that my cousin tagged me in on Facebook.  The post was from a high school friend stating "Is Michael ok?  Was he impacted by the explosion?  Please update us if you can."  My brother ran in the Boston Marathon today and we hadn't heard from him yet.  Needless to say I panicked after seeing this post!  Social media is great, but in a case like this...I'd rather not see the new on Facebook.  About an hour later, we received a text from Michael letting us know that he was ok and was headed back to Philly.   This evening, I am praising God for the safety of my brother and am praying continuously for those whose lives were affected by this incident.  Here is a picture taken of my brother just a few minutes before the explosion:


3 comments:

  1. Hi there. Thank god your brother is ok. I agree that social media is great, but at times like this it can be frustrating, especially when information is not accurate or confirmed! I live in NH, about 45 minutes away, and had friends who ran and were right across from the explosion. THankfully all are ok! My brother and sister-in-law and nephew live in Boston and decided to evacuate the city just in case. It is crazy being so close to home. The news coverage is just heartbreaking. BUT the people of Boston will get through this! Glad your family is ok!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lauren,
    I am so glad he is ok. What a horrible event, and I know what you mean about getting shut or locked up in a classroom and not aware of the world on the outside. I was amazed to learn of the bombing, and so much time had passed since it had happened that I learned the situation. I agree also you assertation over social media's role as not accurate or not confirmed in situations such as these. Thanks for sharing and again I am gld your family is ok. Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can imagine how stressful this must have been for you. I didn't hear about the bombings until after school. I know in your situation this must have been a long day, but isn't it amazing how fast pictures of suspects emerged? In this situation, social media contributed to the quick identification and apprehension (elimination) of these two men. Smart phones and technology have changed the way news is captured and delivered. The pictures and video footage captured by citizens truly helped with the investigation, I believe. No longer do we have to wait for the evening news to find out about what is happening around the world, smart phones have made this instantaneous. I'm so glad your brother was okay. I am so proud of the way the people of Boston have come together. The stories of how people were helping the victims are inspirational.

    ReplyDelete